Winter Fire Hazards
With the winter chill truly setting in keeping warm has become a priority to anyone owning any form of heating device.
Of CIA’s ten largest losses over the last few years eight of these were caused by electrical faults.
How can the prevention of electrical faults be achieved?
– Ensuring that plugs sockets are not overloaded. Good quality quality multi-plug adaptors – some of which include Surge Protection – will allow you to safely use the appliances needed without the risk of overheating – Frequent visual inspections of all electrical wiring (where possible)
– When using an extension cord, always unroll it fully. Do not leave it coiled up as it can overheat and cause a fire. – Regular maintenance of electrical reticulation by a qualified electrician – Ensuring that all electrical appliances are switched off after hours or when the building is left unoccupied
Another potentially hazardous heating source is Gas
Gas can be deadly and includes the following safety risks:
- Gas leaks
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
Check your appliances before using them. Sometimes we pack our gas heaters away until winter. There are seals that degrade in time. Make sure your appliance is safe before using it by checking the manufacturer’s instructions or alternatively, getting a registered installer to check it for you.